Plastic Free July Week 1

Happy 4th of July to everyone who celebrated!

I'm gonna be honest this post might not be the most coherent, I got a nasty migraine earlier and feel a bit better but still woozy.

How was everyone's first full week of #plasticfreejuly ? I think overall mine went pretty well.

Some successes:

  • Brought a French press and my own coffee into the office this week, and I don't think I got too many weird stares
  • Found some "naked" deodorant from LUSH. I got aromaco, but they had a couple different kinds. I thought they just did bath bombs but there's quite the selection in there
  • I put on my big girl pants and asked if I could get cheese wrapped in paper at the cheese counter, and I could! I'm going to be making cod au gratin in the slow cooker and you can't have au gratin without cheese!
  • Picked up some live yogurt cultures. Haven't had to make my own yogurt yet, and if I don't try this week then definitely the week after
  • Cam helped me out in the kitchen and made some pitas. They are DELICIOUS and I could eat all of them

Fresh baked, amorphous pita bread
Look at these tasty little pitas
And some slip ups:
  • There's this little coffee stand Cam and I pass on our way home from work. I think Thursday Cam was like want to stop and get something and since it was the day after the 4th it felt like a Monday, so I was like "of course!" I got a tasty peach and mango smoothie, and it wasn't until we got home that I realized, "Fork! This is a plastic cup and straw." *Insert angry guilt face* But now I know to be more wary of the Monday brain, even if it's Thursday
  • We were in charge of ice for the 4th gathering and we didn't really have Tupperware big enough to transport, so had to get one of those bags of ice. Do y'all have any plastic-free ice know-how? Other than just getting some bigger tupperware
  • I've still gotta work on asking for no straws at restaurants, since it's just Seattle city limits that have the ban. I am 25 years old and on several occasions had someone else ask for no straw for me (thanks B and Cam). So they are awesome and I am a lame. Just gotta find those big girl pants I had at the cheese counter
This upcoming week is my travel week! We'll be flying out Wednesday night, and I have done a little research on traveling. Going plastic free might actually take some of the stress out of carry-ons because a lot of my liquid toiletries have been replaced with bars, so suck it 3.5 oz of liquids in a one quart bag. I'll be bringing along my trusty water bottle and mug, empty to start of course, and I might get my own set of bamboo utensils if I can find some. My double edged safety razor blade is not allowed to be brought in with a carry on, but I still have some disposable razors I can use.

With the travel, I might not be able to post on my usual Sunday night. I will for sure have something up by Tuesday, likely with pictures of the beautiful Black Hills! (And if my sister has her way, Mount Rushmore).

Let me know how your first week went, and successes, slips, tips and/ or tricks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Free July Kickoff!

Plastic Free July Weeks 2 & 3

One Week to Go!